Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Monday, November 3, 2008

Peanuut Butter Pie

Welcome to the first week of November, 2008!

To celebrate this auspicious occasion I am eating the last piece of Peanut Butter Pie!

I know, I know..... I will use ANY reason to eat something I like for breakfast. To be totally honest, I have to finish this and get it out of the house. Gene made it before I went to Indiana. While I was there I went through "pie withdrawl" and after I got home I was okay. THEN, the dreaded want for a cool, ice-creamy treat overtook me. To the freezer I went and there it was ... beakoning me with it's sweet, creamy voice, "Eat me. You know you want me. You will NEVER be happy with anything else. You can't ignore the fact that I am the best food that has come into your life this past week."

Well, I could have argued that point. The tenderloin, fries and coke I ate at Mr. Happy Burger while I was home sure beat the pants off of any dessert. For those of you who are not lucky enough to live in "Pork Country" and have grilled tenderloins at your beck and call have no idea what it feels like to finally get back home and savor the flavor of my all time favorite sandwich. (When I was a young girl and would go to the Eagles with Mom and Dad to eat I always had a tenderloin sandwich, french fries, coke and a piece of sugar cream pie (which is my #1 favorite pie in the whole, wide world! ! !) One day, I will put the recipe for Mom's Sugar Cream pie on here. For me, it is to-die -for.

I digress. I want all of you to get the recipe for the Peanut Butter Pie. Gene saw it being made on the Today Show. I went to their site and copied it down so he could make one for us and one for our chocolate/peanut butter (yes there is chocolate in it too) neighbor. By the way, when this is frozen it tastes just like a Peatnut Butter-y Ice Cream Pie.

Aa Rachel Ray would say, "Y-U-M-M----O!"


Peanut Butter Pie
Source Today Show, Oct. 8, 2008


CHOCOLATE BOTTOM
1/2 cup ( 3 ounces)
semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup
8 ounces cream cheese,
at room temperature
PEANUT BUTTER FILLING
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream


EASY HOT FUDGE TOPPING
6 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
6 ounces dark chocolate (64% cacao), finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup light corn syrup
Chocolate cookie crust
In a food preocessor, grind cookies to a fine powder..
approx 1 1/2 Cups.
In bowl, combine crumbs, sugar, butter and mix well.
This mixture should feel wet.
Press mixture into, and up the sides, of a 9-inch pie plate.
Use the back of a large spoon to even out the crust.
Put crust in refrigerator while youmakie the filling.

Peanut butter filling with chocolate bottom
Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave oven
or in a double boiler*
Add the corn syrup and stir to combine.
Use a spatula to spread the chocolate in a thin layer
on the bottom of the chilled pie crust.
Put the crust back in the refrigerator while you make
the peanut butter filling.
Put the cream cheese, peanut butter, vanilla, and brown sugar
in the bowl of an electric mixer
fitted with the paddle attachment.
Beat on medium speed until well combined
and completely smooth.
Set aside.

In a clean bowl, use the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment
to whip the cream until soft peaks form.
Remove the bowl form the mixer and, with a rubber spatula,
gently fold the whipped cream
into the peanut butter mixture until the mixture is
uniform in color.
Pour the mixture into the prepared crust and freeze
for at least 4 hours.
Once the pie is frozen, you can cover it with aluminum foil.
Freeze for up to 3 days.

Easy fudge sauce
Double boiler method
Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water, and place on stove over medium-low heat.
Put the chocolate chunks or pieces in a medium
or large metal bowl,
and place the bowl on top of the saucepan.
The bottom of the bowl should not touch the water.
Stir the chocolate occasionally (about every minute)
until chocolate is completely melted, shiny, and smooth.
Do not overheat.

The hot fudge sauce, cooled to room temperature
and covered tightly,
will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator.
Rewarm the sauce in a microwave oven
on medium heat for 30 seconds,
stir, and repeat until sauce is warm;
or reheat it in a small saucepan over low heat.
Place a frozen piece of pie on a large serving plate.
Spoon 3 heaping tablespoons of the warm sauce directly over the top of the pie.
Eat and enjoy immediately.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now for my personal edits:
1. We couldn't find the chocolate cookies so Gene used a ready made chocolate crust.
2. The chocolate layer over the crust
didn't want to smooth out easily.
I ended up wetting my fingers in warm water.
That helped spread it out.
3. The chocolate layer makes it difficult to cut the crust.
I went to using a knife that I had run under hot water.
This worked better.
Just don't be suprised at how hard (but tasty) it is.
4. The Hot Fudge Sauce has been in the fridge
for approx. 2 weeks.
It still tastes great.
However, we found that 30 sec. wasn't long enough
to heat it through.
Experiment with your microwave
for the correct amount of time for you.

Good Eats!
Alton~(727)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.