Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Several Finishes

Several finishes have come together the last two days. Now that the sun has finally decided to show it's lovely little face, without all of the sweltering heat that normally goes with it, I was able to take pictures so I could post them with true colors. I tried some inside shots and all of the colors washed out.

Probably ended up about 9" x 9" (+/-)

I first saw this design, African Flower Dishcloth, finished by Pammy Sue at Scotty's Place. I followed her link to Casey Plus 3. From there it was to the  African Flower Hexagon.  I clicked the "available for free" link and ended up with the original pattern which was 1st published in an Afrikaans South African magazine called Sarie. Since I have yet to Learn how to speak, or read Afrikaans, I saw that the translated pattern was on the designers Flickr page . . 9th from the top. Finally, I had found the link for the pattern in English.


If you compare my center with the actual flower . . I goofed . . but I still like it.

Since I like my washcloths and dishcloths made out of thread . . they dry so much quicker and seldom, if ever, get that "smell" we have all come to hate . . . I had to adapt the pattern.

So, with no further adieu I copied everything I could find, Pammy Sue's pictures, the original picture from Casey and the pattern instructions from Flickr. I am VERY ANAL! I like all of the patterns I find online to be in print I can read . . my font is size 12 . . . so I copied everything and pasted it to a MS Word document . . . this time, Arial 12 . . with the pictures of what it should look like at the top.


"Paula," you ask. "But how did you finish it to make it so much bigger?"

I finished what the pattern said for the flower and for Casey's addition . . . that took me to the edge of the back and front post double crochets. Since I wanted a lighter feeling cloth I did this:

Round 1: Ch 4, sk 1, dc in next st, *ch 1, sk 1, dc in next st,* around with a (dc ch 1, dc) in each corner.

Rounds 2-3: Repeat Round 1.

Round 4: Ch 3, dc in each st around, (dc, ch 1, dc) in each corner.

Rounds 5-6: Repeat round 1

By now, I could see the cardboard center of the thread. If not I would have done another round of Round 1.

Round 7: Ch 1, sc in same st and each st around (3 sc in each corner ch 1).

I have a couple more finishes but they will have to wait for later . . they are baby gifts and I don't want the Momma's or Dad's to see them yet.

If you want the pattern I compiled, leave me a message with your email and I will send it to you. I have documented on the bottom where the different info came from.

Signed,
My Crochet and Cross Stitch Mojo's are Back

3 comments:

  1. Uhhh. How pretty. :-)

    Was just going through larger clothes for Nuriel. I think the pink ice-cream sweater will fit this fall! Yay. I'll make sure I take pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, but ya know what?? I have not crocheted ANY patterns with bp or fp stitches. I don't know why but it just intimidates the crap out of me! I love the look, I just can't wrap my head around those stitches! :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you hate when you have something you know you want to say and it's all of a sudden gone...like the wind, like an accidentally let go balloon, like your hat in a winter wind? Except you can catch the hat. Happens to me all the time now. :o( Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.