Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pumpkin Pike

I have to show you our Thanksgiving table . . . set with serving dishes that came from my paternal grandfather when he worked on the Pennsylvania Railroad (platters from the serving car) and a green bowl that belonged to Mom and Dad . . . our Cranberry bowl broke a year or so ago, so this is the new replacement.




I know, I know, you are asking yourself, "What is Pumpkin Pike . . some newly found orange fish?"

Nope . . . it is the newly christened name of my recent Pumpkin Pie recipe. I had so much pie filling that I knew it would be to much for one pie and probably to much for two pies, so, necessity is the mother of invention . . . I took 2 Pillsbury Pie Crusts, placed them in a 9" x 13" dish and filled it with the "Pumpkin Glop."

Our Abby has a thyroid problem and has lost quite a bit of weight since 2006. I have medicine to give her, but that is pretty traumatic for her, so I do it when I can, and then feed her whatever she wants to eat form our table scraps. Oh, and she likes milk products, so I  put extra Cool Whip on the pie for her . . . looks like she likes it, doesn't it?
I LOVE how the picture caught her in mid lick.
Earlier I posted pictures of the process of putting the "pike" together, but I don't think I included the recipe . . . so here goes.

0.5 C Domino Light Sugar with Stevia (0.75 C Honey)
1.5 tsp Cinnamon - I like more
1 tsp Nutmeg - I like a lot more
4 Eggs (3 Eggs)
3 C Pumpkin Glop . . . my name for homemade Pumpkin Puree
1 Can Evaporated Milk
0.5 tsp Vanilla - I like more
(If you want a denser "pike" use ingredients in parenthesis.)

1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Pour mixture into an ungreased 9" x 13" baking  pan.
3. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes then lower temp to 350 degrees F and cook for another 45 - 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
4. Cool and serve . . . or, when cool, place "saran wrap" closely over the filling and place "pike" in a freezer bag, or freezer paper, and freeze.

You will notice the "pike" in the picture has a crust . . . the husband wanted a crust where I like mine without . . . for this, place two Pillsbury Pie Crusts in the bottom of the pan before filling with mixture.
 
If you want ONLY the printed recipe,
click the MAGIC button above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.