Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Friday, January 9, 2009

100 Things

I saw this on a blog today. I decided it was the thing to do since it is so close to the 58th birthday. (Am I right? If I subtract 1 {for 1951, my birth year} from 9 {this year} I get 8. Put a 5 in front and I get 58. Sure glad I wasn't born in some year like 1947!)

The rules state:

Below are 100 statements. Bold or change the color of the ones you have done.

1. Started your own blog

2. Slept under the stars But woke up in the rain.

3. Played in a band. Played cornet, french horn and baritone in school band. I am counting it

4. Visited Hawaii .

5. Watched a meteor shower.

6. Given more than you can afford budgeted to charity.

7. Been to Disneyland or Disney World World. Jane and Kathy can vouch for this one!

8. Climbed a mountain.

9. Held a praying mantis 9th Grade Biology "Bug Collection."

10. Sang a solo For WSAL, at Longfellow School, I was in a group of elementary kids who did the 12 days of Christmas. I don't remember which day I was though.

11. Had stitches. Yeppers, Right palm. Wiped out on the ledge into the garage on 19th Street. Looks like the Nike Swish.

12. Visited Paris

13. Watched a lightning storm at sea

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch. Crochet, Knitting, Crewel, Counted Cross Stitch

15. Adopted a child.

16. Had food poisoning. Just this last year!

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty Back when they still let you. My Dad did. I'll bet there aren't too many people alive today who could answer yes to that one.

18. Grown your own vegetables. Yeppers, peppers! Like my rhyme?

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France {See #12.... DUH ! ! ! ! !}

20. Slept in an overnight train. 3 times. Once with Mom going to Florida and then coming back. (If you find my pink bunny that I lost then, please return it to me here in New York!) And this past October when I came back from Indiana.


21. Had a pillow fight. Hasn't every girl who ever had a sleepover or been to a slumber party?


22. Hitchhiked

23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill. I took some in Brownsburg for job interviews and in Indiana I took them for Mental Illness Days!

24. Built a snow fort.

25. Held a lamb. Can I count holding a baby piggy when Marilyn, Debbie and I spent time on Spud and Susie's farm? Can I count that? (Why am I asking you? Like I will hear your answer!)


26.Gone skinny dipping. There is NOTHING SKINNY here to dip!

27. Run a marathon. You have GOT to be kidding? How about Have You Ever Run?


28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice.

29. Seen a total eclipse. Yeppers, peppers! Both solar and lunar.


30. Watched a sunrise or sunset. Of course. .Isn't that what front porches are for?

31. Hit a home run. Junior high PE.


32. Been on a cruise.

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person. 15 Minutes up the road. Come visit and you will see it in person also. (I am SO AMAZED at the sound the Niagara River makes rushing over the rapids on the way to the Falls.)


34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors. I've been in Fulton County where my Grandma Gaumer was born and in Cass County where my other grandparents were born. Nothing beyond that!

35. Seen an Amish community. Shipshewana, Indiana (and the rest of the Amish towns around there.)


36. Taught yourself a new language

37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied. When I first started teaching, probably the 4th year . . .yes!


38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person.

39. Gone rock climbing.


40. Seen Michelangelo’s David.

41. Sung karaoke


42. Seen Old Faithful, in Yellowstone Park, erupt .

43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant.

44. Visited Africa

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight.


46. Been transported in an ambulance.

47. Had your portrait painted.

48. Gone deep sea fishing.


49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person.

50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. {See #12 and #19!}


51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling.


52. Kissed in the rain.


53. Played in the mud. You Betcha'. I think I was a Puddle Duck when I was little.


54. Gotten a speeding ticket. 85mph in a 60 mph zone will do it every time.


55. Been in a movie. Not since Diane's Mom filmed us at her slumber party.


56. Visited the Great Wall of China. Almost, but Chooch didn't think she could get us back if something happened. So changed the trip to Thailand.


57. Started a business. I'll sell you any craft I make if you want . . but never a business I expect to survive on!


58. Taken a martial arts class. Judo, with Sung Jae Park, at Ball State for a PE Credit. Even had to be in a meet at the Men's Gym. Of course, my right leg cramped and I lost :-{


59. Visited Russia


60. Served at a soup kitchen.


61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies. Not only did I sell them, we ate a box while we were outside of RBM trying to sell them to the workers when they left work. Didn't realize we would have to pay for them!


62. Gone whale watching.

63. Got flowers for no reason special occasion. Gene has done that. And he always asks me if I want flowers when I comment on them. (No flowers anymore, Nosey thinks they are her toys and they always end up on the floor with water ALL OVER! But I'll bet Nosey has fun until the C~R~A~S~H happens then she would run like hell!)


64. Stayed the night in jail. Only visit jails on Law Day, April 1st's (or as close as possible), in Cass County, Indiana.


65. Cried so hard you threw up.

66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp. I wanted to but Chooch wouldn't go.


67. Bounced a check. Yes and even bounced some online !

68. Flown in a helicopter.


69. Saved a favorite childhood toy. {Let's ask Teddy who is sleeping in the Hope Chest as we speak!}


70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial.


71. Eaten caviar. Cheap stuff, yes. {Oh, do fried catfish egg sacs count? Y-U-M-M-O, but what a mess.}

72. Pieced a quilt. With Mary Packard I did.


73. Stood in Times Square.

74. Toured the Everglades .


75. Been fired from a job.

76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London. Yeppers Peppers.


77. Broken a bone .

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle. I was once on a putt-putt with George Zimpleman ;-}


79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.

80. Published a book.


81. Visited the Vatican .

82. Bought a brand new car. Cavalier Type 10.


83. Walked in Jerusalem.

84. Had your picture in the newspaper. While participating in a church Mother's Day Style Show as a YOUNG child, when I was head of the 5 Days of Christmas Bazaar at the Art Association, with Troy Samuels for something at CMS, when we got engaged and when we got married.


85. Read the entire Bible.

86. Visited the White House.


87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating. I watched Grandma Armstrong (or was it Eggy) kill a chicken AND I watched my grandma pluck the pin feathers out of a chicken she bought from Popejoys' Chicken Factory when it was on 3rd Street (where Subway was.) I know this doesn't count, but it is as close as I will ever get to doing this.

88. Had chicken pox.Yes.


89. Saved someone’s life. Does giving a child a passing grade when they should have failed count?

90. Sat on a jury. Grandpa was being tried for molesting his 12 year old grand-daughter. I knew him (had all but 1 or 2 of his kids in school) and had been her neighbor when she was quite young. Both lawyers said it was okay with them. I wish they hadn't. It was not pleasant.


91. Met someone famous.I had Joel Rush (from a new reality show produced by Ashton Kutcher and Tyra Banks) as a student. Met Paul Williams, Kent McCord, Tia Babilonia & Randy Gardner and Grizzly Adams at the 500 Festival Parade guest reception area. Oh, also ex-president Gerald Ford . . and his Secret Service men. Thank Again Jane!)

92. Joined a book club. Readers Digest and one with whole books too.


93. Lost a loved one. In order: Grandpa Gaumer, Grandma Winegardner, Aunt Ora, Margaret, Dad, Mom, Uncle Norman and my mother-in-law Dorothy.


94. Had a baby

95. Seen the Alamo in person


96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake

97. Been involved in a lawsuit. Dianne and either JT or Tony were being sued by some kid's family. I got a subpoena, we all met with the school lawyer, but nothing happened after that.


98. Owned a cell phone. T-mobile, pay as you go, for trips and long distance calls. Want my number?

99. Been stung by a bee. Yeppers . .and one was on the bottom of my foot while in Mrs. Lux's yard . .right next door to Harmony Corner.


100. Read an entire book in one day. I used to DEVOUR books in the summer when I sat out in the sun. But when the eyes got worse, that stopped :-{ [Even now, with the lens implants for the cataracts, it is difficult to read that size print for any length of time . . even with the reading glasses.]

If you decide to do your own list, leave a comment so I can come visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.