Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Friday, April 2, 2010

Making a Blog Button . . Part I

I have decided it is time to try to make a button for my blog. I have looked for instructions and found this infomation here. Thanks Jen for the info. Now, let's see if it works.




1. First, you need to create an image. I made mine on Adobe Photoshop. There are several websites that specialize in buttons if you don't have photoshop. Google "Blog buttons or chiclets" in oder to find these websites. You will then need to save your image to your hard drive!

2. Next, you will need to upload your image from your hard drive to the internet. You can do this by posting it in a post on your blog. You can use Picasa and I think Flicker will work too. (I posted mine right here . . now I wonder which one I will choose?)

3. Now you will need to go into your layout and create a new page element. Be sure to choose HTML/Java Script. Go to this website and copy the code about half way down the page. (This is the tutorial I used.)

There are two URL addrss that need to be changed in order to fit your needs. The first address is the site your linking to. The second one is the address where your image is located on the web. (To find this address, click on the image in your published post. Next right click, scroll down and click on properties. Then you can copy the URL address next to location.) I found deleting the words, title="Mouseover Words" works better. Make sure to only delete those letters. Do not delete the > symbol. Also leave the words "Alternative Name" the way they are. I found when I changed those words it didn't work.

4. After the two address have been replaced you are now ready to click save.

5. Enjoy your new button!!

If you try to create a button on your blog using these steps, let me know if my tutorial was helpful or if you ran into any snags. I've spent the last 2 days reading TONS of tutorials, some were super helpful and others were really vague! I hope this has been helpful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.