Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Dad's Meatballs

I am in HOG HEAVEN.
And I'm not fooling.
I just finished making
Dad's recipe for meatballs
1/2 beef and 1/2 pork.

Midway (+/-) through making 60 meatballs.
I  might have shared this before,
but it is worth sharing again.
When Lee,
my  brother,
and I were growing up
Dad and Mom had a rule,
"No more meatballs until we ate all of our Spaghetti."
What a bummer rule . . LOLOL
First batch out of the fryer . . just a little too done.
Once when we had company,
Pam Millikan and her now husband, Steve,
Pam reached for more meatballs,
before she finished her spaghetti and I said,
"No more meatballs until we ate all of our Spaghetti."
She pulled her hand back so fast
and Mom, Dad and I just sat there and laughed.
Then I had to explain the rule
and let her know she could eat as many as she wanted
since she was "a guest."
Perfection :-]
Here is the recipe.
As a matter of fact,
the recipe is older than I am.
Probably a LOT older
since Dad got it
from an older railroader he worked with.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**
MEATBALLS (makes 60)
1pound Ground Pork
1 pound Ground Beef
5 Eggs
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Salt
1 Bead Garlic, cut fine
(I use Garlic Powder if I have no garlic)
3 T Grated Parmesan Cheese
(The recipe calls for the cheese in the can.)
2 T Parsley Flakes
(Which I tend to forget.)
5-7 Slices Vienna Bread, dried and grated
(I normally use bread crumbs . . guess-timating)
Combine all ingredients,
that's why the bread goes in last so you can tell
if you have enough or need more.
Form into balls.
(I used a small cookie scoop.)
Fry in a skillet in 1T of oil.
(we use the deep frier for speed,)
until you have a solid outside "crust."
Drain

SAUCE
2 Medium Onions, sliced
1 ½ Qt – 2 Qt Tomatoes
1 Can Tomato Paste
I usually add mushrooms too.
Put in large stock pot.
Bring to a boil,
Add Meatballs.
Slow cook for 2 hours.
There is something to this sauce
that is so simple and refreshing.
Nothing fancy,
just tomatoes,
onions
 and my addition of mushrooms.
Let me know if you try it and what you think.

Oh,
when we were growing up,
Dad would always put
"X" amount of meatballs and sauce
in those old
half gallon (or was it gallon)
milk containers so he could
"fold" the tops closed
and freeze them.
Then, when we were hungry for them
he would defrost the container and re-heat.
This is how I like them best . . re-heated.

Once,
for some reason,
the meatballs all crumbled
while being re-heated.
Mom named this
"Meatball Slush."



1 comment:

  1. Your Halloween heading is so cute. But those meatballs look even better. WOW.... And I just ate and my mouth as still watering. Debb

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.