Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Butterflies and Turtles

Imagine you are listening to the opening of the Lone Ranger TV showwhen I say this: And now, returning you back to those thrilling days of yesteryear . . . those days when you were studying plants and animals in school.

Yeah, yeah, I know . . . what was so thrilling about those "yesteryear's?"

That was when you learned the difference  between butterflies and turtles, correct?

Well, I am here to tell you there is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE.

"Oh really, Miss Crochet Pattern Slut," you say.

"Yes, I say."

By the time you finish this post, you will believe me.

Butterflies above Turtles Below
Can you see the resemblance?

Nothing like eating insects and hard shelled animals for fun . . don't ya think?

Originally, the turtles were one of our Christmas recipes. Then, I decided to make some as a birthday present for my cousin, Debbie. Only problem . . I wanted purple melts. Finally found them last Friday, 10 Feb, and her birthday was the next day. What a bummer . . . and I had her card bought for over a month. You see, I seem to ALWAYS be late when I send she and her sister their birthday cards and I wanted hers to be on time. Oh Well . . . so I called her and left a goofy message on her answering machine Saturday night . . . then called back and left a goofy message form Indy for her.
When she called back Sunday, I told her to expect something in the mail . . no promise when.

But, I digress . . . there it is, my favorite word, digress.

Homemade Butterflies and Turtles
Ingredients
mini pretzels
Carmel's (unwrapped)
candy melts/wafers
pecan halves
parchment paper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
When it is preheated, turn down to 200 degrees.
Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Arrange pretzels on parchment paper.

Place Carmel's on top of pretzels.
Place cookie sheet in oven for 5 minutes,
 or until the Carmel's are soft. (try the infamous "push on the Carmel" test)
"push in the Carmel test" shown on bottom butterfly
Remove cookie sheet from oven,
place a candy melt/wafer on top of each Carmel,

return to oven for at least 2 minutes.
(You don't want them to melt so much that they are running over the Carmel's . . just soft.) 
warm Carmel with room temperature meld
if you want, press the candy melt/wafer into the Carmel before placing in oven to melt the candy melt
Remove cookie sheet from oven,
 push pecan half onto candy melt . . .
which will push the Carmel into the pretzel.
**It works better
 to have two people working now
so the Carmel's don't harden up waiting for you to "push."**
just out of the oven

if the pretzels are not flat on the cookie sheet.
just hold them down while you press in the pecan half
Remove parchment paper from cookie sheet,
 allow candy to cool . . .
it takes the candy melt/wafers longer than you think to firm up.
Turtles
Butterflies

Store in airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.