Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Bread Pudding

I know I have posted this recipe several times.
Two thick slices that broke apart
frying in about 1T of Olive Oil.
But
this time,
I'm going to write everything down
 so I will have a recipe for myself that
 I will be able to use over and over . . . 
not just make up as I go.
Ready to eat with Olivio (with Canola Oil) and pure Maple Syrup.
Let's start with the bread:
16 oz Marketside French Bread (WalMart)
10 servings
120 Calories
5 Calories from Fat
1g Total Fat
0g Saturated Fat
0g Trans Fat
0mg Cholesterol
280mg Sodium
24g Total Carbs
1g Dietary Fiber
1g Sugar
5g Protein
6g Iron

8 Eggs (Medium - Large)

1/2 C Domino Light Sugar with Stevia

7 C 2% Milk 
Too much, the liquid bubbled over.
Next time use only 6 C.

2T Vanilla

Olive Oil (for frying)

Recipe
 (Click here for link to recipe.)
Slice bread and let it "air dry."
Place bread in 5# loaf pan.
I place it in the pan so it looks like the original loaf.
Any bread that won't fit, 
I tear and place around the sides to "pack" the pan with bread.
In a bowl, 
whip the eggs, add the sugar and vanilla,
mix well
then add the milk and mix well again.
Pour mixture over bread
allow bread to COMPLETELY 
soak up the liquid.
Normally, I split the liquid mixture in half 
using a Pyrex 4 C Measuring Cup. 
This makes the pouring over the bread easier.
I pour the first 1/2 over the bread and allow it to soak up
then add as much of the rest as the bread will soak up.

Cook at 350 degrees F for 60 minutes.

Check with a "skewer" in the center.
If it comes out clean.
and the custard is set,
remove from oven.
I tell the husband,
"Any reason to use Maple Syrup is a good reason to cook."
You can see that one piece of the toast is gone .
If it isn't set,
or the "skewer" isn't clean,
cook another 10 - 15 minutes
and repeat test for done-ness.

When done cool.
Then slice, I use a spatula, 
into "bread" sized pieces.

In a skillet, heat Olive Oil,
and fry the Bread Pudding.

Serve with whatever toppings you desire.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.