Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Monday, May 13, 2013

Hot Fudge Cake

I can't remember if I posted this or not. I didn't think so, because the pictures were still on the computer.


So here goes . . . this is SO GOOD. It is one of those recipes where the liquid goes on top of the cake batter, and, through the magic of the oven, the cake ends up on top and the "sauce" on the bottom.

Fancied up with ice cream, bananas and nut topping.
Tasted better than a banana split!


Ingredients
1 C All Purpose Flour
¾ C Granulated Sugar
6T Cocoa Powder (divided)
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/3 tsp. Salt
½ C Milk
2 T Vegetable Oil
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 C Packed Sugar
1 ¾ C Hot Tap Water
 
I LOVE to use my largest Pyrex measuring cup as a bowl.
I think the only thing not showing is the Cocoa Powder
which is on top of the flour container.
Instructions
1.     Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Grease a 9” x 9” baking dish liberally with vegetable shortening. (I used a cassarole dish.)

2.     In a medium bowl, combine, with a spatula,  flour, 4 T Cocoa, baking powder and salt until well blended.

3.     Add milk, oil and vanilla. Mix until a thick (and I do mean thick, like Play Doh) forms. Spread the batter evenly in the dish.
See how the mixture looks like Play Doh?
I just used the back of the rubber spatula to spread it out
over the bottom of the casserole dish.

4.     Sprinkle the remaining 2T of cocoa and the brown sugar evenly across the top of the batter. Pour the hot water over the top, DO NOT MIX.
Let's hear a chorus of "double, bubble, toil and trouble."
The liquid just SITS on top of the Play Doh cake batter.
5.     Bake for 35 minutes and serve warm, or reheat later.
VIOLA! The oven performed its magic.
The center was "soft-ish" gut I took it out anyway.
NOTES:
1. The "sauce" will be very "liquidy."
2. I reheated my cake and sauce on the "reheat" setting of the microwave. It was weird, the "sauce" thickened up to almost the consistency of the cake . . . and it REALLY felt and tasted like Hot Fudge Sauce instead of the "liquidy" sauce at the beginning.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness.. This DOES sound good! Thanks for sharing your recipe. I'll definitely be trying this one sometime! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy, I love messy cooking.

    Paula, Hedgehogs love wood piles to sleep in, we are always told to check bonfires before lighting them, So I made a wood pile in the corner, then I added the large plastic box to keep it dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness - this looks delicious!

    I'd love for you to bring this to Tuesday's Table - http://zentmrs.blogspot.com/2013/05/tuesdays-table-for-may-14-2013-and.html

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.