The husband made it tonight, and used as many low sodium ingredients as possible. it was SO GOOD ! ! ! ! !
1 pound 97% Lean Ground Beef
1 Large Onion, diced
2 C Rice, uncooked
14.5 oz can Hunts Flavored Diced Tomatoes - unsalted if available
14.5 oz Can Tomato Sauce - unsalted if available
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Dried Basil
1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
32 oz Chicken Stock - low sodium if available
2 C Water
2 T Powdered Beef Stock - low sodium if available
3 large Green Bell Peppers
1 can V-8 Juice - low sodium if possible
~*~ OPTIONAL ~*~
1/2 tsp Salt
Cheese for garnish
Sour Cream for garnish
- In a large soup kettle, coated with cooking spray, over medium heat, brown beef with onion and rice.
- Dice peppers into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, salt (if using salt), pepper, chicken stock, water and beef stock, and allow to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and allow to cook 20 minutes.
- Add peppers and allow to cook 20 - 30 minutes longer. Cook longer if rice is not cooked through.
Serve topped with optional ingredients.