Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Debbie's Veggie Salad and My Scrabble

Today we had Sunday Night Supper at my brother's house. Compared to many families, ours is small: Lee, his daughter Allison, his daughter Lauren and her fiance, son Chris and son Matt with his wife Julie, her two sons and their daughter then Gene and I. If my math is right, and I'm not guaranteeing it, that should total 12 people.

Tonight Lee's two brother in laws were also there. One is a priest so this is the last he could make it during his "busy season."

Since Chris won't be here for Christmas Eve, which is when I have always celebrated Christmas with them, I took Scrabble (similar to Chex Mix) for all the kids, This way they have my Scrabble (which we all think is better than the "official" Chex Mix ) before Christmas. 

SCRABBLE.
1 Roasting Pan, turkey sized
1 box Wheat Chex
1 box of the following, your choice: 
    Rice Chex, Corn Chex or Crispix
1 bag Pretzels
Mixed Nuts . . . you decide on the amount

1.5 C of Cooking Oil
1/4 C Worchesterchire Sauce
Season Salt
Garlic Salt


  1. Preheat oven to 200 degree F.
  2. Mix the first 5 ingredients in the roasting pan. (Remember you only need one of the cereals listed in line 4.)
  3. Combine Oil and Worchestershire Sauce in a 2 C measuring cup.
  4. Liberally sprinkle the two salts over the dry ingredients.
  5. Pour some of the liquid over the dry mix and stir to distribute wet mixture.
  6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have no liquid left.
  7.  Bake in oven for 2 hours, stirring every 1/2 hour.
  8. Let completely cool and stir in M&M's.
  9. This may be frozen for up to 1 year. When taken out of the freezer it is immediately ready to eat . . . no thawing needed.
Gene packed a box with cookies he has been making this last week. Everyone took some home. What was left are Lee's. I know they won't last long with him.


Main dish was Chicken Pot Pie from Costco. I am not a pot pie eater but this was pretty good.

I am having to dig down deep in my recipes for things to take that are different. This week I took a cold veggie salad that came from my cousin Debbie. It is SO GOOD ! ! ! !

Double batch of ingredients

Debbie's Veggie Salad
Veggies
10 oz Frozen Mixed Vegetables (cooked and cooled)
1 Can of Red Kidney Beans, rinsed
      (I picked up the wrong can and we had Garbanzo's today.)
1/2 C Chopped Celery
1 Small Onion, diced
1 Green Pepper, chopped

Dressing
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Vinegar
1 T Flour
1 T Prepared Mustard

  1. Once the veggies have cooled, add remaining salad ingredients.
  2. In a small pan mix all dressing ingredients together. 
  3. Cook dressing ingredients until thick and clear. (If your's doesn't become clear, but looks like a dull "mustardy" color, that is fine.)
  4. Let cool and pour over veggies.
  5. Serve cold.
Scrabble, cookies and Veggie Salad were a hit. Hope Christmas presents on Christmas Eve go over as well :)



1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a nice Christmas dinner. Thank you for the Scrabble recipe, I haven't made anything like that in years..

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.