Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Friday, February 12, 2010

February 12, 2010

Debbie had a birthday yesterday. I called her around supper time . . no answer . .figured she was out for a birthday dinner. I called back later and I h ad been right . . . she had a pizza out birthday supper. Happy Day After Your Birthday, Debbie!

Can you believe how close you, Marilyn and I are even though you two grew up in Gary and I was in Logansport? Mom always said that whenever we got back together it was like we had never been apart. I think there has got to be some real, strong genetics running through the three of us.

Today was the 1 year anniversary of Flight 3407 that crashed in Clarence before it was able to land in Buffalo. To honor the friends and family members who were lost, approximately 200 people met at the crash site and then walked the 20 miles to the airport. The surviving family members saw this as their way to finish the flight that the passengers were never able to complete.

People were lined up along the route . . one school had their children line the street and they gave each participant in the walk a white carnation. It was a pretty special scene.

The man who has become their spokesman said something to this affect, "We are walking to finish their flight and marching to bring attention to the standards of the airlines."

That was the beginning of my day and I just ended it with the Opening Ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC, Canada. It was a wonderful event, yet humbling as they honored the Georgian luger who was killed on a practice luge run this morning.

His name was mentioned several times during the proceedings. Each time, the camera went to the driver of the American Bobsled Team who is the driver for Steve Wesler who is from Buffalo. I could tell that this death has been hard on him.l The lugers and bobsledders use the same track. The news commentators said that this track is the fastest in the world. I hope and pray that no one else gets injured there.

And, to the parents and family of this Olympian, I hope they have fond memories of their son doing what he loved and hope these memories can ease their pain.

Signed,
Saw Sadness from East to West Today

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.