Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Road Trip For Indy

Last night, Indy was sitting on the couch with me. As I was petting her right shoulder, I felt wetness. I wondered how she got so wet in an area she can't lick and she doesn't roll in the snow.

I took her into the bathroom where the light is better and found out it was blood. I checked it out and a growth she had had broken open.

I wasn't real worried . . she has these fatty growths, that so many dogs get, and ever once in a while one will break open.  I figured I'd do what I did before, trim the hair out of the way, apply a warm compress 4 or 5 times a day, and put antibiotic ointment in the opening.

When I got the hair trimmed away, I noticed it was worse than the last times. I could feel, what seemed to be, a cyst underneath it that, when I gently squeezed it, blood would come  out.

Okay, wait until the morning and see what it looks like and call the doctor if needed.

This morning, it had seeped during the night, so a call went into the doctor and they got me in in 1/2 hour! guess I called at the right time.

Come to f ind out, I was right, it was a cyst and it is full of blood and I need to keep up with the warm compresses four or five times a day. Doctor D gave us antibiotics . . 2 pills, three times a day. He said this way it will heal from the inside while the warm compresses and ointment I apply to the outside will keep the outside open so it can drain when needed.

Oh, he also said not to be surprised if another opening forms due to the pressure inside trying to get the liquid out.  This evening, I can see another spot starting to erupt.

This is what it looked like this evening. Hopefully, you never get this unwanted surprise from your dog, but, if you do, trim the hair away, apply warm compresses 4 or 5 times a day and put antibiotic ointment into the opening to keep it open and germ free.
Now the fun thing . . . see how long it takes for the hair to grow back in. Doctor D shaved it back better to get a good view, so at least it is a nice shave job :)


2 comments:

  1. I hate it when our cats are unwell, I hope Indy is healing well and better soon. I rather not have your snow, it's sunny and dry here, once again the snow stopped before it got to us. I love living in the area of England, we are so very lucky with our weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, poor Indie. Both our dogs have been having weird sicknesses/issues. Fortunately they got better in a few days... I think they must have eaten something outside they weren't supposed to. I still don't know what caused it..

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.