Leaves on this Family Tree

Withering Away

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Time to Share

I remember how hard it was for my body to adjust when we moved to New York 10 years ago. I put it down to having retired, sold a house, moved and set up a new house all between May 1 and July 4, 2006. I honestly don't think I recovered until the summer of 2007.

I thought this move would be easier; moving home, seeing people I know, shopping in familiar places. Now I'm not so sure. We've been home a little over 2 months and my mind is still mush. But, then again, I'm writing this as I am starting to recover for either a cold or sinus infection. It didn't knock me out but it sure has sapped my energy this last week.

That said, I was lucky enough to take 2 painting classes this week. I took my 1st in December, with my niece, and it was a blast. 

The girl who was the art teacher in the middle school I taught in retired the same year I did. Then he and her husband started spending 100% of their time in her art studio/gallery.

Over the years she has moved to a much larger building and the business has blossomed.

Last winter, I think, she started to give "Pop a Cork and Paint" classes. I was eagerly waiting to  move home so I could take them. I finally got signed up for the "Snowman" class in December. funny thing about it is I had commented on a friends "Snowman" painting from a class she took this summer. She gave it to me s a Welcome Back present. So now I have my Snow Man and her Snow Woman.

Paula's Snow Man and Peggy's Snow Woman

During the December class my niece and I signed up for the January "Pop a Cork and Paint a Penguin" class. Again,  it was a blast . . . even though I was in that part of the cold/sinus infection where my body was really fighting to throw it off. Several people asked if I was sick. I said, "No, I just have to concentrate on breathing and that is slowing down my painting." LOLOL

I wanted him to look like he was "waddling" down a snow bank.
I also told people I wanted him to look like he had been on a "bender."
I think I accomplished that. Doesn't he look like he is a "Weeble?" 
Earlier in the fall I had shared a picture of an old piano that had been  made into a water feature in a garden. A friend form high school decided she wanted to schedule a painting class with the same teacher and asked if I wanted to join. Well, it was today. A LOT harder than the other two, but still fun.

Not so sure about this one.
Teri said that we kind of become "numb" while painting.
So, have someone hold it further away and it looks better.
Told the girls in the class I might have to have Gene put an addition on the house
so I could put it s REAL LONG DISTANCE away.


One day I would like to take some one on one classes so I can develop the knack of painting without brushstrokes. For some reason I just can't get that down :(

1 comment:

  1. Paula those paintings are good, I would love to be able to draw and paint, Fliss eldest daughter is our artist. We have fingers crossed our new neighbours will be nice, if not we will up sticks and move.

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments inspires me to blog more.